by Angela Strand of NW Healthy Mama
Daffodils seem to smile, guaranteeing that spring is on its way. But what should a family do after driving by the fields and admiring all the beauty of the La Conner Daffodil Festival? Just go back home? No way! Here are a few must-do ideas! Hikes, places to eat and the list goes on! Pack up the kids, load the car with snacks, the camera, and some jackets. With these ideas, you can make it a weekend trip you’ll all enjoy.
- Visit the Padilla Bay Interpretive Center (and be sure to walk down to the water!)
“Come visit the Padilla Bay Reserve and learn more about the Salish Sea. Staff is available to teach and present to individuals, groups, and classrooms.”
- Walk along the Padilla Bay Trail
Great for strollers, bikes, kids, runners, dog walkers, even a wheelchair could do this. The easy flat walk makes this an ideal hike for those just starting out, or someone recovering from an injury or illness. Bird watchers will definitely want to bring binoculars!
- Take a walk along the Skagit Wildlife Trail
This trail is often used by duck hunters during hunting season, but since hunting season is over, it is a perfect walk for the family. The trail is wide and lined with gravel. A jogging stroller should do just fine.
- Drive out to Anacortes and hike around Whistle Lake
This trail is almost entirely flat and it’s perfect for families or beginning hikers.
- Head into La Conner and stop for lunch at one of the many family restaurants.
- Grab some coffee and walk along the La Conner waterfront boardwalk
- Visit Snowgoose Produce for THE BEST ice cream cones around (plus wine and local produce).
- Visit Christianson’s Nursery. This place is an absolute dream come true for anyone with the slightest green thumb.
With endless places to hike, play, and dine, you can easily turn your La Conner Daffodil Festival trip into an amazing adventure. Be sure to come back and share which places you enjoyed the most!
Bio: Angela is a wife, mama to three little ones, the creator of NW Healthy Mama and a lifelong Washington State resident. Besides staying home with her kids, she loves serving on her church’s MOPS team, hiking with her girlfriends, gardening, writing, reading and taking photos. Be sure to follow the NW Healthy Mama site on Facebook and Instagram for more local family fun, hike ideas and healthy recipes.