La Conner, Washington, one of the Northwest’s premier artist communities and home to three museums, including the Museum of Northwest Art, seeks entries for its Ninth La Conner Outdoor Sculpture Exhibition. This successful outdoor show, sponsored by the La Conner Arts Commission, receives ongoing media coverage and brought the Town of La Conner a prestigious Municipal Achievement Award from the Association of Washington Cities.
The Arts Commission will be opening this new cycle of the La Conner Sculpture Exhibition on Saturday, March 8th, 2014. The selected sculptures will be on public display in the heart of La Conner, a charming 19th Century waterfront village that draws art collectors and over 500,000 tourists a year.
Sculptures are on loan to the Town for two years and the La Conner Arts Commission promotes their sale through statewide advertising. The Commission’s marketing activities also include the distribution of full-color walking tour map cards at the site of each artwork, as well as a brass plaque listing the Artist’s name and purchase information. The Arts Commission also actively pursues opportunities to promote the Sculpture Exhibition during activities sponsored by other groups, such as the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival and La Conner Chamber of Commerce events.
The Town of La Conner endeavors to purchase at least one sculpture from each exhibit to add to their permanent collection of public art. The Arts Commission marketing efforts have resulted in the sale of ten sculptures since the Sculpture Exhibit’s inception. A $200.00 stipend will be sent to all selected Artists following the delivery and installation of their sculpture.
Entry deadline: Monday, December 2nd, 2013
The entries will be juried in early December and submitting Artists will be notified of the jury decision by December 16th. Installation of selected sculptures will be individually scheduled for February 2014 with Town of La Conner Public Works. The exhibit opens Saturday, March 8th, 2014 with a celebration with the Mayor, and invitations extended to selected Artists, La Conner Art and Park Commissioners, Public Works, Planning Commission, Town Council, invited Jurors and the Press.
- This sculpture exhibition is open to Artists who reside in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Alaska and British Columbia.
- Entries must be of existing works of art available for exhibition and available for purchase for two years.
- Sculptures must be durable and suitable for year-round outdoor display with proper mounting facility.
- Selected Artists are responsible for delivery to the site and confirm installation arrangements with Town of La Conner Public Works.
- Sculptures are on loan to the Town for two years and insured for the duration of the loan by the Town following delivery and installation.
- Town of La Conner will provide concrete pads for mounting. Specific attachment details will be arranged with the Artist.
- The Town will provide assistance and machinery, if necessary.
- The Town of La Conner will retain 25% of the sales price. The Arts Commission uses these funds to procure public art for the Town. If the Town purchases a sculpture in the exhibit, it will pay the Artist 75% of the retail price, plus tax.
- An independent three-person jury will choose the sculptures to be exhibited.
- The selected Artists and the Town of La Conner will enter into a contract for each piece selected.
HOW TO APPLY
- La Conner Outdoor Sculpture Entry Form
- There is no entry fee, and you may submit one or two entries.
- Mailed entries are preferred – Email submissions are acceptable.
- Submissions by Mail: Please print and send completed entry form(s), required materials and CD with images to:
La Conner Arts Commission/ Out Door Sculpture Exhibit
La Conner Town Hall
P O Box 400
La Conner, WA 98257
Submissions by Email: Please email all information required on the entry form, resume, bio, statement and images: firstname.lastname@example.org
Allow yourself time: Whether submitting by postal mail or email, all submissions must be received no later than 4:00 pm Monday, December 2, 2013.
Questions may be directed to Lori at La Conner Town Hall, (360) 466-3125, or email@example.com