Winter Activities … from our 101 Things to Do list.
While many people only think of La Conner – and the Skagit Valley – during spring and summer, winter is an absolutely wonderful season to spend time in our valley! Sure … we’re known for our tulips and daffodils, water & boating and shopping. We’re also well known as one of the Northwest’s premier destination arts communities. But we’re fast becoming a winter getaway for people from around the West and Western Canada. Romance? We’ve got it. Spectacular scenery? Got that, too. Perfect photo opportunities? Yep. What you may not know, however, is that we are a bird watcher’s paradise. And if you like the majesty and intrigue of our fine-feathered friends, we are the day-trip or weekend destination you’ve been looking for.
Here’s a sampling of things you can do in La Conner in the winter. We add to the list all the time, so check out this page often! If you want to check out our whole list, you can do that HERE
- October through April – arm yourself with a camera and binoculars and spend some time in our valley with the Bald Eagles, Trumpeter Swans and Snow Geese. La Conner is the perfect starting point for a winter bird-watching excursion in Northwest Washington. Details here.
- Bring the family and take part in the Museum of Northwest Art (MoNA) Family Art Day.
- Enjoy a classical performing art concert at Maple Hall, held each month from October-April and sponsored by the La Conner Institute for Performing Arts.
- Participate in the annual Smelt Derby in February, sponsored by the Rotary Club of La Conner.
- Print your own “Fish” t-shirt using a real fish at the Smelt Derby in February.
- Watch (or participate in!) the February Sound Rowers Open-Water Kayak Races on the Swinomish Channel.
- Spend a romantic winter getaway with us. Cozy up to the fireplace, get out a good book, and dine on yummy local fare.
- Spend Valentine’s Day with us! Did you know we’ve been voted the most romantic getaway, and the best place to kiss? Several times, in fact! Valentine’s Day celebrations are a big deal in La Conner.
- Photograph La Conner from the Rainbow Bridge – the winter light at dusk is spectacular.
- Dress up your boat and join in the Christmas Boat Parade, then say for a weekend getaway full of holiday gift shopping and great dining.
- Join us for our Community Christmas Lighting Ceremony and visit with St. Nick.