People often tell us that as they leave I-5 and head toward La Conner, they watch for certain landmarks to let them know they’re getting close. From the north, it’s the polo farm and then the row of trees along the channel. From the south, it’s the firehouse, the flag pole and the round-about.
Now, our guests (and locals too!) will be greeted by 18 beautiful and colorful banners along Morris Street, representing the 18 annual events that take place in La Conner.
Each banner represents a community event and are installed by month; January starts at Key Bank just past the round-about and December hangs in Gilkey Square.
- January: Gathering of Native Artists hosted by Skagit County Historical Museum
- February: Smelt Derby hosted by Rotary Club of La Conner
- March: MoNA Style hosted by Museum of Northwest Art and Stashfest hosted by La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum
- April: Tulip Festival hosted by Skagit Valley Tulip Festival and Tulip Parade hosted by Kiwanis Club of La Conner
- May: Opening Day Boat Parade and Skagit River Poetry Foundation, both hosted by Swinomish Yacht Club
- June: Art Auction hosted by Museum of Northwest Art
- July: La Conner’s Community 4th of July hosted by Chamber of Commerce
- August: La Conner Classic Boat & Car Show hosted by Port of Skagit
- October: Boneshaker Bicycle Festival hosted by Sprocket Science, Quilt & Fiber Arts Festival hosted by La Conner Quilt & Textile Museum, and the return of the Snow Geese & Trumpeter Swans
- November: Chowder by the Channel hosted by Kiwanis of La Conner and Art’s Alive! hosted by Chamber of Commerce
- December: Santa Breakfast & Tree Lighting hosted by Rotary Club of La Conner and Lighted Boat Parade hosted by Swinomish Yacht Club.
A big thanks to the town of La Conner, the La Conner Art Commission and the Chamber for spearheading this project, to local graphic artist Michael Arthur Creative Communications for the graphic design, and to DiJulio Displays Inc for the banner manufacturing.